The night was long, and the fishermen cast the nets time after time. Each time they pulled up the nets, they were empty. Though they worked hard all night, they did not catch any fish. There were nights like this for the fishermen. Fishing was an occupation that required much dedication.
Dedication is one of the characteristics causing Jesus to call fishermen as his first disciples. Fishing was an occupation requiring patience. Fishermen could not give up even if no fish were caught. They had to persevere to succeed.
Fishing was easy on the nights fish were abundant, but on the nights the nets came up empty, it took a truly dedicated person to keep fishing.
You and I can relate. Life is easy when things seem to be going our way, but when difficulties arise, it takes dedication to pursue our calling. Achieving our goals, realizing our dreams, and fulfilling our purpose call for perseverance.
It takes time, effort, and devotion to get through the rough patches, and we have been promised they will come.
“In this world you will have troubles but take heart. I have overcome,” Jesus says in John 16:33.
We are promised rough patches will come, but don’t forget the other piece of the Lord’s statement. “I have overcome,” Jesus says. If we persevere with the Lord, we too will overcome.
Here are 10 verses encouraging us to persevere.
- James 1:12 says, “Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial, because having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.”
- “And as for you, never tire of doing what is good,” 2 Thessalonians 3:13 encourages.
- “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding,” Proverbs 3:5-6 says. “In all your ways, submit to him and he will make your paths straight.”
- 2 Corinthians 1:21 says, “Now it is God who makes both you and us stand firm in Christ. He anointed us.”
- “Put on the full armor of God,” advises Ephesians 6:11, “so you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.”
- Hebrews 6:11 says, “We want each of you to show this same diligence to the very end, so that what you hoped for may be fully realized.”
- In John 6:40, Jesus encourages, “For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”
- “Stand firm and you will win life,” says Luke 21:19.
- Romans 12:12 says, “Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, and faithful in prayer.”
- “Let us not become weary in doing good,” Galatians 6:9 encourages, “for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.”
Fishermen were called because of their dedication. It is a “must have” characteristic to get through life. Without dedication, we can quickly become disoriented and swallowed up by life’s troubles. Perseverance is required to overcome struggles and difficulties. It may not be easy, but with the Lord’s help, you and I can do it.
Ask the Lord to help you develop an attitude of perseverance. Refuse to give up when life’s troubles surround you.